Friday, August 19, 2005

Quite Ridicilicilous

Let me start by saying: What The F***?

We have everyone and their "lover" telling us to be politically correct.
We have half of those people telling us what politically correct is.
Too many people hiding behind the first amendment just so they can get some trash talk in / or so they can get their faces in front of a camera and have their 15 minutes. (I must agree with Rush Limbaugh on this: "You have the right to say what you want, but you do not have the right to be heard.")
Too much talk and too many laws to make life fair for everyone in the U.S., while the talk is all lies and the laws are only to benefit certain people.
Tolerance for being stepped on and a lack of balls to knock the piss out of the stepper - a lack of balls due to being politically correct.

So what is it that set this post into motion?
I was watching Tom & Jerry this morning. Seriously - that's it.

I remember watching this cartoon when I was a kid and thinking it was great. I remember watching other shows and thinking how wonderful they were, and they were family (child friendly) oriented. Most of the cartoon violence was so outlandishly ridiculous that even a child knew this was not something that could really happen.

As I got older I liked the newer things and shows. Kung Fu with David Carradine as Kwai Chang Caine - some violence, but with explanation and a good message - showed very few death scenes and was entertaining. Night Court with Harry Anderson as a magic loving judge and John Laroquette as a horny prosecutor after Christine Sullivan. Sure there were sexual innuendos, but the language was clean. All in the Family was a good one, Archie Bunker was over the top racist and provided a good example of what not to be - as a kid I could see that the things he said and did were wrong and that made it that much more important that I not act that way. I believe the older, less politically correct shows were a better influence on children than the more politically correct shows of today.

My children read a great portion of the time. It's not that my wife or I force them to do so - they enjoy it. I am very proud of them for that. But, ya know, they are allowed to watch television. The only times they are not allowed to do so is when they are being punished - perhaps a t.v. rule was broken. I believe kids have just as much of a right to watch t.v. as adults. It's not like tobacco or alcohol - or driving. It is a form of entertainment that has no age limit and is available in your home.

I remember a time when the more adult themed shows would come on later at night, when the children should be in bed. Wait... don't they still do that? The Shield, Adult Swim, South Park... I thought so. So why am I flipping channels in the morning and early afternoon hours and hearing words that are clearly adult oriented? I know, kids hear these words any way, right? Not in my house. Shit, Fuck, Asshole, and GD are not a part of the vocabulary in use while speaking to or around my children. If I will not use these words in the company of my kids, and I don't think anyone else should either.

When the older shows were on, they didn't need colorful language to be entertaining. Look back at their popularity - think of the shows you watched as a kid, and how many people did you know of that watched them, AH! wait, here ya go... did they have a lunch box made after them? And how much bad language was there? ...yeah.

I know I am not going to change anything about the shows that are on, but I don't have to watch them either. If you don't like what's on... change it. But while you're changing it, you shouldn't be able to not get away from it.

V-chip? Parental Controls?
I use parental controls on my kids' computer. I shouldn't have to on a t.v., and television manufacturers shouldn't have to make these options available for concerned parents. Consumers shouldn't have to pay for these features in a t.v. either. If the t.v. has to have a chip or anything else to allow the parent to control the settings... the companies producing the television shows should have to pay the added expense of those televisions. I bet the language factor would drop then, huh? I have more on this, but I've a headache at the moment.

I think I'll listen to the radio for a while. Maybe even take a nap. Don't wake me unless Cindy Sheehan has been shot - I don't want to miss the party.