Friday, September 02, 2005

School / Life

The first week of the semester is over. I have three classes, but only two professors. My favorite class is Planning & Executing GIS Projects (Project Management).
I guess that's my favorite because of the syllabus. Three tests, three projects, three reports, and lots of hands-on. I'll kick ass in this class. See, the tests are worth 20% of the final grade (each), and the projects are worth 40% total. That's not my ideal situation, but I can make it work for me. I have a kind of gift for managing GIS Projects and I acknowledge the skills I have and (more importantly) don't have. Not being cocky, just honest. With enough leadership under my belt, I will be able to bring up any test grades that may not go my way. This should allow me to come out of class with an 'A' for the semester. As long as I can get an 'A' in my other two classes, I'll be happy. Let me tell you why.

My high school career was a joke. Almost literally. I graduated with the bare minimum. I had a 1.57 GPA (Really, I have my transcripts). I was not a good student. I could have done the work, but I chose to do other things. I almost flunked Woodshop, due to skipping class. I sucked as a student. And because of that everyone thought I was just another dumb redneck that would be a moron for life.
I damn near proved them right. And if it weren't for my mother-in-law, I wouldn't be usin' me noggin fir much uh nuthin'. She offered to pay for my college education. It was a Christmas present. Awesome gift, huh? I accepted her generosity and wept like a baby. No one ever did anything like that for me. I didn't want to dishonor her gift with bad grades.
I've been busting my hump in school. I can only take 9 to 12 hours per semester, while working a full-time job (sometimes a part-time too) and trying to spend time with my wife and kids; therefore, it has taken me a while to make it through. I currently have a 3.95 GPA and am in my last semester (3 classes). I am one of the few people that are the pride of my lead professor. I have an excellent working knowledge of different types of software, hardware, methods, theories, and hands-on skills that many companies look for. I feel that I have a lot to be proud of. My downfall is that I will not have the degree most employers are looking for (B.A. or B.S.). I will have an A.A.S.. Hey, it's more than I had. And I actually get to use my brain.