Friday, October 07, 2005

What's Been Happnin'

School. Work. Home. Repeat.

I had a guy ask me for a quote as a consultant on a GIS project the other day. I asked about the details and that made things get a bit weird. He gave me general ideas about the project... I gave him the same about a quote. He said, "How long and how much? Point blank." I said, "500 hours over six months at $25 per hour - $12,500. How's that?"

I have not heard from him since.

He was talking to a friend of mine at the same time. We both were giving him the same quote, apparently. He must have thought we were trying to scam him or something. I told my friend, "He has no idea of how high most people charge."

That's ok. I'm still employed - though I despise the place. I gotta find a real job. I'm not asking for much - I don't think. I'm asking for about $5 - $10 (thousand) less than my lead professor thinks I should take. But I don't see the job offers flyin' in.

How's School?
Database Management: learning SQL (call me a geek, but I like it). Took a test. I think I did well.

Planning & Executing Projects (project management): writing RFPs and Proposals (I can do those in my sleep). Took a test. Did well.

Data Sources & Quality: I'm not sure... Took a test... think I did well.

Remind me to tell you about Tennessee Construction Career Days. That was (depressing) odd.

At work: it's Christmas time... remind me to tell you about the Proctologist Nutcracker and His Unsuspecting Victim. (I have pics).