Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Falling Down

I have found few things in life that actually make me feel... inadequate (shall we say).

So far, the list goes like this:
Working for a suck-ass company for 12 years (and going nowhere).
Getting an education, and not being able to get a job (better than the one I have).
Living in da hood, and not affording a way out (see two reasons above).
Having the mental capacity to out perform people with higher educations, and higher careers; yet, not getting the opportunity to have one of those careers (due to lack of education).

Sometimes, I get down on myself. I can't help it. I look at my life and I'm disappointed. I should be so much more. It pisses me off, because it's my fault my family is living in a dangerous environment. Yeah. It is (break ins, shots fired, cars broken in to, attempted rape (outside the front door)... shall I continue?).

So, why don't I move? See the list above. You need dollars to move to a better neighborhood. My rent is low, but the cost is high. That's usually the way it runs. I guess.

When I was in my last semester of college, I did a small class project. The project was a demographic analysis of Knox County, TN. There are few areas in K-town that are as bad as mine - some are worse. But I live in West Knoxville - that's supposed to be the good side. And it is. But there is one section of West K-town that is well below the rest of West K-town. Yep. My neighborhood.

Average salaries are lower, rent is lower, the number of car owners is lower, the number of violent crimes is higher, whites are a minority, and... Wait a tick. What the hell does "whites are a minority" have to do with anything?

Areas where whites are the majority = better class of living. Not a racist statement - fact.
Areas where whites are the minority = lower class of living. Again, not being racist - fact.
Yes, there are areas that are populated entirely by whites, and the class of living is nearly subhuman, and vice versa. I'll never dispute that with you. I've seen it.

I don't care about the arguments that could come from my statements. I only care about getting my family to a better class of living. I'd rather be called pejorative names, than to have my family endure these living conditions.

As I write this, the police are pounding on my neighbor's door, and yelling for him to come out.