Friday, November 11, 2005

GET A JOB

That's all I'm trying to do.
Yeah. I have a McJob right now, but it's no career - not for me anyway.

I am a bit pissed right now at my lead professor. See. He fed me the typical B.S. that I know is his job, but it's not his job to straight out lie to people. "There are lots of jobs for people with these skills, there are more jobs in the field than there are people to fill them." You know what? He's still using that same crap three years later.

A lot of jobs, huh?

Why the hell are there so many people with Masters degrees in similar fields that are competing for the same jobs I am? I'm only getting an A.A.S. out of this. It's not like I'm any real competition for a masters.

And the skills the professor was talking about. I've got 'em. Not trying to toot my own horn or anything, but I've got 'em. I know what I'm doing and I'm damn good at it. I can layeth the GIS Smack Down with the best of 'em. Hell! I even correct some of the teachers' and other GIS professionals' mistakes or misunderstandings, when they need it. Fact: I know my shit.

But where are these jobs the good Dr. was talking about?

The other night, in class, some of my classmates were asking my opinion - concerning what they should do about next semesters' class schedule. I told them to change their major, and find something they can use to get employed. I wonder how many of them will listen to me. One of them said, "Why don't you change your major?" To which I replied, "Simple. I graduate next month. It's a bit late for me."

I'm not through bitching about this yet. I'll have more at a later date. Just had to get that out. Thanks for glancing at this page.