Saturday, July 29, 2006

Tennessee Visitors/Drivers Beware

The Tennessee Highway Patrol (THP) decided recently to get themselves a pay raise. Now, I'm all for officers getting a raise, but I think the means to their end is all wrong. They have to raise $9 million to get their raise. I wish them well, but not too well.

See, they get their raise by giving speeding tickets. They're supposed to be giving out a ticket every ten (10) minutes. In an effort to make this a bit easier, they've reduced the amount of speed they're going to allow you to go over the speed limit. There was a time - not too long ago - when you could go 5 to 10 miles per hour over the speed limit, and no one cared. But with the pressure on, they're going to pass you a citation if you cross the 5mph over mark.

I had no clue about this until my wife came home from work and told me - yeah, she got a job. She works for one of the best attorneys in Knoxville, and he told her about it. I know him, and I'll gladly take his word for it - and pass it on to you.

Be safe out there, and watch your speed when traveling through Tennessee.