Thursday, June 15, 2006

People & Music: In My Experience

For some reason, there seems to be a correlation between the type of music a person listens to and their intellectual communication abilities. The majority of the people I've worked with have been less than mentally stimulating and even less interested in mental stimulation. But then, considering that I've spent the past 12 years working in retail... Can you blame them? But I digress.

Most of the people I've found to be more interested in feeding their brain have had an affinity for heavy metal music (old school or new). Yet, the majority of the people I've known that were pop rock, or country music fans, have not been quite as interested in such things as mental stimuli. I'm not saying metal-heads are smarter, and everyone else is stupid. I'm just saying: this is what I've observed.

One such person I would like to point out is Johnny-Oh!'s room mate (Steven). Here's a guy that is quite intelligent and really enjoys shoving information into his noggin. He also happens to be a metal-head. In conversation, he's a good listener and always has something to share - that is usually interesting. Then there's a guy I recently met at work (Chuck). Chuck has much the same musical tastes as Steven, but not quite the self-education. This hasn't kept Chuck from being a creative conversationalist, nor has it hindered his ability to use hyperbole and metaphorical statements in satirical humor. That's something I've missed at work since Johnny-Oh! and Steven left for better employment. On with it...

Much to my displeasure, I've not come across many pop fans that can hold a candle to the minds of the fellows mentioned above. And not a country fan in the bunch. Odd really. This being Tennessee and all... Hmmph! Folk... Light rock... Punk... Some good minds in the music (often sick, but good).

My hat is off to my heavy metal brethren. Even those that don't get it.