Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Mad Doctor

I was sitting in class the other night, just piddling on my computer and listening to students talk about their RFP & Proposal projects. Not a lot happening, and that is what started making the professor upset, as his tone clearly revealed. "Haven't you read the assignment outline," he said to the class. "Didn't you pay attention at our last class meeting?" Then it happened.
One poor soul had the audacity, the nerve, the ignorance, and pure stupidity to say: "I don't understand why we have to do this assignment." BOOM!!
The professor exploded into a fit of rage, the likes of which I have only seen in one other place. Remember the movie, Waterboy with Adam Sandler? When Bobby got mad and tackled "Col. Sanders" - that's what it was like in the classroom (just without the tackling).
The professor had been sitting on a table at the side of the classroom. In an instant he was half way across the 30' wide room, and was in this guy's face. Screaming at him. "My God man! Where have you been? Have you heard anything I've said?"
Apparently dumbfounded and shocked, like the rest of the class, the student replied with, "I just don't get it."
Ever squeeze a water-balloon until it popped? Ya know that point right before it bursts? How the super-stressed latex is almost sweating the water through its piths... That's what the professor's face looked like. We thought he was gonna pop / or have a heart attack.
Words flew from the professor's mouth that I never imagined him saying. And as he strolled himself to the back wall of the room (trying to look calm), he placed his trembling hands in his pockets. Thus transferring attention from his hands to his shaking pants.
We all knew the student was trying to get a rise out of the professor, but it was beginning to piss some of us off. I was especially pissed, when I learned this student was trying to get our professor in trouble with the college's president. He knew what he was doing. He was pushing those buttons on purpose. Asshole.
It was wrong. It was prickish. It was scary. It was funny. And it made everyone else in the class look better. Thanks Bob.
A buddy of mine was talking to his boss about it the next morning at about 9am. His boss told him that he had already heard about it at 8:30am. This was at a business about 12 miles away. WOW, news travels fast. Even the good doctor's son new about it - in a neighboring town.
I'm on my way to that same class tonight. Hmm. I wonder what's in store.