Monday, March 13, 2006

... Or Get Off The Pot

I learned a great many things from the A.A. meetings I attended some years ago. Among them is a biblical lesson, perhaps you remember it too. It goes a little like this: "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

As Christianity goes, it's one of those things many non-believers call a weakness, and many believers call divine. I would prefer to call it common sense.

It seems only right that you should not dwell on things you can't change. It seems only right that you should muster up the courage to change the things you can. And to know the difference... C'mon. If you can't tell the difference, you should look at it from the outside - perspective is everything.

Change what needs to be changed. If it doesn't need to change, leave it alone. But you must make a decision. And if you're too lazy to do that... Shut up!