Monday, April 17, 2006

Back On 3rd Shift

I worked on 3rd shift for about 7 years, then I switched to 1st. After working 1st shift for the past 5 years, I've gone back to busting my hump overnight. It's not because I desired torturing myself. It goes a bit past that.

My immediate supervisor has no clue of what he's doing. This has been quite obvious for a good while. Thing is, I have repeatedly tried to help him; however, he has not accepted my advice, nor my assistance. Instead, he has been seeking the advice and help of a person that is as clueless as he. A slap in my face, as I watch our department go down the drain. I requested to go to 3rd shift because a change in departments would mean a loss of money - 3rd shift pays more.

Upon requesting an exit from my department, my store manager asked "why?" - I was happy to explain myself. His response: "Wise decision." Upon speaking with an assistant manager that is semi-well trusted, I learned the store manager is over the incompetence being displayed in my former department's management - change is coming soon.

If I continue employment there, I will probably be asked to take the department. But I think that would be a mistake - call it a "gut feeling."

Yes. Two sentences ago, I said "if". I said it because I have an interview tomorrow - and a high chance of getting the job. It may not be a job in the field I went to school for - it's still retail - but it might be enough to give me back some of the job satisfaction I once had.