Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Timing & Desire

I have bad timing, when it comes to getting things I desire. Yet, my timing is impeccable for the things I do not desire. Elaborate? Yes... I shall.

I was once the manager of one of the departments in my current employer's building. I was very good at my job and I enjoyed it; though, I did have to put up with a quite slapdash manager over me. I was comfortable where I was and had no plans to advance, nor step down - all was good. Desire.

Then I started college, but I was still doing well at work, excellent at school, and great at a second job (part-time, of course). After a while, my manager quit. Then there was no manager... Then came a lazy, evil, Hitleresque, Barney Rubble looking guy with no sense of diligence, or work ethic. He was the epitome of "deligation without a clue." Thus, I began doing his job and mine. UN-desire.

I was brow-beaten by his boss, and questioned about why I was doing everything else, instead of getting my own job done. Upon explaining, I received the brilliant phrase, "I'm tired of your excuses." My boss then wrote me up for not doing my job. So, I asked if I could hire someone to help with the other duties (not my job) that I was covering - I also asked if he could begin doing his own work. Of course, I didn't get to hire anyone - and my comment about his job was not well received. Timing.

I decided the hostility of the work environment was placing my job at risk, and I needed to be focusing on my future career anyway... so I stepped down and changed departments. The guy that took my place ran into the same problems and stepped down - quickly. Barney quit soon after that. Then comes department manager #3 and a new manager over him. The new dept mgr didn't have to do the things we had to do. His job was made much simpler - he just did his job (not everyone else's). Also, he was allowed to hire 3 (not just 1, but 3) people to help offset his work load and free his time for managing his department. Timing.

Current day: I've been looking for a job for a while, and have not been able to find anything that was going to be "gainful" employment, in my field of study. So I figure I might as well try going into (upper-middle) management with my current employer. I'm not looking too good for it - seeing as how I stepped down from the whole department manager bit - but I'll go for it anyway. Ya know, I could have saved a few years if I would have just tried to do this before I took that last department mgr job. Timing & Desire.

As it turns out, the mgr of my old department is moving on up now. I asked how he got to move up so quickly. His reply: "I've got good people under me. I couldn't have done it without them." Timing & Desire.

Why does it bug me?
$15,000 per year raise + Bonuses

Ya feelin' me now?