Sunday, April 09, 2006

So Much More Than a Beverage

Beer is one of those divine gifts that is great for any occasion. It is one of those beverages that not only, quenches thirst (as it enhances the same), but leaves us with the same mystery as a bad woman: "You're so bad for me. I must have you! Why do you tempt me with your seductive smootheness and full body?" *ahem*

I've been trying a few brews I've not had before. Which is obvious... otherwise I wouldn't be trying them, would I? And here's a thought or two about them:

Flying Dog - Tire Bite Golden Ale: It ain't bad. But it ain't good. I don't recommend it, unless you like water better than beer. Too much like Bud Light. My wife says it goes well with dark chocolate. It's from Denver, so you can't hold too much against them - they can't help it.

Warsteiner - Premium Verum: A nice pilsner. Enough bite to grab your attention. Enough after taste to let you know it's German. Enough smoothness to be a nice dinner beer. Yet, a bit lacking in the area of alcohol (4.8%). But I like it, and I would recommend trying this one for yourself.

Shiner - Hefeweizen: No, it's from Texas. Shiner, Texas. I must say, I'm a bit biased on this one. I love Shiner Bock. Love it. But I was looking for something in a golden ale or lager from the Shiner people. And this is what I found, in a store near me. I love it. Try it. It reminds me of the Honey-Wheat selection from Pete's Wicked Ale. Hint: follow the directions on the back of the bottle (yeah - directions). But then, I felt a bit stodgy when I poured it into a glass. Just use the bottle.

All this beer talk is makin' me want some sake. Looks like I'll be callin' up Johnny-Oh! before too long. I think it's workin' up on sushi time.