Sunday, April 30, 2006

May 1st Treason

There was a time, not long ago, that I was a supporter of the National Council of La Raza (NCLR). I thought the organization was trying to help Latinos integrate into the diverse culture of the United States. I thought the NCLR worked "to improve opportunities for Hispanic Americans." Alas, it seems as though they are against themselves - so why should I want to support them? I don't.

How are they working against themselves?
By wanting the illegal immigrants to have amnesty. Very large numbers of immigrants come to the U.S. legitimately. Those immigrants often become legalized United States citizens; yet, many allow their visas to run out, and they stay in the U.S. illegally. I don't understand why a person that worked so hard to become a legal U.S. citizen would want illegals to have the same rights that the legals had to work for. It seems, to me, that would be the same as asking to be slapped in the face.

The following excerpt is from the website for the May 1st Coalition:
"On May 1st, people all over the United States and throughout the Americas will be taking action to support full equality and legalization for undocumented workers in the United States. Now is the time to act. We can make a difference by showing the power of immigrant workers and their families. Join this new civil rights and workers' rights movement. We must defeat HR4437, the Sensenbrenner bill, which criminalizes undocumented workers. But we must go further. We want full rights, full equality. We want amnesty!"

This is a quote from the petition for Amnesty:
"I demand full rights and equality for all immigrants living in the United States. Neoliberal economic policies targeting Latin America, like NAFTA and CAFTA, have pushed millions of people into abject poverty. Immigrants are forced to come to the U.S. to look for work. Nobody should be criminalized for attempting to survive. No human being is illegal. Racism against immigrants emanates from the same forces behind the U.S. war to conquer and control the wealth of Iraq."

It is my right to opine, and I shall:
Anyone participating in the May 1 Boycott is guilty of treason. I say this because participation - no work, no school, no buying, no selling - is being disloyal to the United States. How can you want amnesty for people that are being disloyal before they are even citizens? And why shouldn't you be deported for being disloyal to the country you claim to love?

Honestly, I could go on for hours. But I'll call it quits for now... It pisses me off too much. As a Hispanic male, I'm embarassed for their stupidity.